Begins 26 July at 10:00
Ends 29 August at 16:00
Dean Heritage Centre
Activities will take place every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday during the Summer holidays. Click Here to see the summer itinerary.
The following events are also scheduled for July and August:
- Saturday 30th & Sunday 31st July- Archaeology Weekend. The team from Dean Archaeological Group will be here all weekend. Discover fascinating insights into archaeology and take part in a real dig.
- Sunday 7th August- Medieval Day with Companions of the Forest, a historical re-enactment group. Join them in our paddock for a day of Medieval fun.
- Saturday 13th August– Wood-slice Medallion Extravaganza with Ken. Join Ken in the craft hut to turn a humble wood-slice harvested from our woodlands into something amazing.
- Sunday 21st August- Charcoal sketching with Amanda Cox. The DHC is the perfect place to perfect your sketching skills and today Amanda will guide you through the basics of sketching with charcoal made during our last charcoal burn to help you create a charcoal masterpiece.
- Sunday 28th& Monday 29thAugust –Wendy and Howard are in the craft hut for two days of heritage crafts and environmental arts including weaving and working with fleece, hand tinting old black and white photographs, sewing using an old hand turned sewing machine, painting with earth pigments and printing inspired by the local history and landscape. You can also dress up in some of the museum’s costumes and have your photo taken. Come and join us!
- Every Thursday afternoon at 1.30pm Miss Wright, the Victorian school teacher, will be offering help with the 3 r's in her schoolroom, make sure you are on time!
Summer explorer gallery and outdoor activity packs will be available from reception every day for £2.00. The pack includes Gallery activities, an outdoor trail, DHC pencil and small gift.
Amanda’s Summer Project: Amanda will be showing visitors how to make paper clay plaques and will use plants & leaves foraged from the DHC site to make patterns in the clay before painting them. They can then be hung on our summer tree outside the craft hut or taken home.
free days for local school children
On the 1st and 15th August, any child who attends a Forest of Dean nursery, primary or secondary school can visit for free. Usual adult entry prices apply but if you are in receipt of benefits we will admit one adult as a carer. Home tutored children in the Forest of Dean can also take advantage of this offer.
No proof is required but we will make a note of schools attended as the school which gets the most children visiting will be offered a voucher to use for a school visit in the new term.